Here on our ranch, I cook for three men who love hamburgers. These fluffy yet hearty buns are just right for their big appetites. I also serve the buns plain with a meal. —Jessie McKenney, Twodot, Montana
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Test Kitchen Tip
- Want a heartier sandwich? Divide the dough into 8 portions instead of 12, then shape anyway you like.
- These are ultra customizable. We like to add sesame or poppy seeds. Just brush warm buns with butter and add your favorite toppings.
- This recipe can also be used for slider buns or rolls. Divide dough into 24 pieces, and bake until golden brown.
- To add a golden sheen, whisk one egg yolk with 2-3 teaspoons water, then brush buns before baking.